HOME Scenic Buena Vista Forum
Enjoy the Buena Vista discussion forum. Discuss all local Buena Vista topics or share Colorado topics including 14ers, ski resorts, hikes and trails, historic towns, etc. Please be Colorado-friendly to all! Registration is required; It won't take long! :)

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
ATVing from Hancock to Alpine Tunnel?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scenic Buena Vista Forum Forum Index -> The Mountains & Other Colorado Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katie.miller

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: ATVing from Hancock to Alpine Tunnel? Reply with quote

My CO topog map shows a jeep trail from Hancock to Alpine Tunnel. Has anyone been over this? We're wanting to take ATVs that way, but I saw one of Steve's photos with a sign indicating hiking and horses are only permitted from Hancock on to Alpine. Thanks!
Steve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have much input. I'm Steve... I'm assuming your speaking about either this page: http://coloradoguy.com/hancock-colorado.htm

Or this one: http://coloradoguy.com/alpine-tunnel-trail/colorado.htm

MY SUGGESTION: Call the St. Elmo General Store. They rent ATV's in that area and they probably know if it's allowed for that stretch. Good luck!

-Steve
katie.miller

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve,

this is the page with the pic you took:

http://www.st-elmo-colorado.com/stelmo-romley-hancock.htm

the photo of the sign is closer to the bottom. We actually don't care where we cross the divide, we just want to get to Hancock from the Pitkin side (on ATVs with kids, so nothing TOO scary Wink . I heard that Hancock pass was washed out this spring, but we could also try Williams Pass.... thanks for the note about calling St. Elmo, I will do that.
Kenny

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not going to get over Hancock Pass from St. Elmo. The Spring Thaw took out the road at the railroad bridge. Latest news is Forest Service doesn't anticipate it being repaired this year.

To get to the Alpine tunnel buildings, they are located on the Pitkin side. Williams Pass as signage indicates is only open month of August. You can drive right up to the gate on Pitkin side with ATV's, Jeeps, your everyday vehicle. From the gate its maybe 1/2 mile walk tops in and out. Sign the guest book in the station house.

Here's a link to the Pitkin Home Page, click on attractions, and even the Miner. Summer 2010 1st edition has photos of the washout.
katie.miller

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kenny... and we chat again. This may become an annual thing! Wink

That is what I found out. I just looked at the Miner earlier today after talking to the general store in St. Elmo. We are still thinking about looping around Williams Pass to Hancock and back on Hancock Pass - have you been on those trails? I've been to the tunnel many times before, but never over the divide on the trails. I've been checking out some u-tube videos of the passes and the look doable. We aren't hard-core ATVers, but will have a 4-wheeler and couple of gators with all ages of passengers. Thoughts??

Did you make it to the area this year? I looked around for your pics from last year, but was temporarily kicked out of the group when I tried to update my email address..... Smile but I'm back now.. Cheers!

Katie
Kenny

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm headed there for last week of August. I've been over Hancock, but not Williams. Pitkin side of Hancock is a little steep, St. Elmo side a little rocky. Williams of pictures I seen and where it starts at the pitkin tunnel side is a bit rocky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Scenic Buena Vista Forum Forum Index -> The Mountains & Other Colorado Topics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: